Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I don’t like green, I like blue and orange

This morning I was telling my nearly 3 year old son Hunter that tomorrow we have to wear green to school, throwing in “if your Irish” at the end. He says he doesn’t like green, he likes blue and orange. Then he asks, “What’s Irish?” in his cute nearly 3 year old voice, almost intelligible. I begin to explain what Irish is.


But here’s my question…why do we need to in preschool, celebrate everything? Hunter has been bringing home artwork that is all about pots of gold, shamrocks, green this and green that.

Are they learning anything at all about the country? About who St Patrick really is/was? Does anyone ever bother to learn about why we have St Patrick’s Day? Or are we just playing along…by wearing green, making green cupcakes and cutting out green 4 leaf clovers? I’m just asking.

And if my son doesn’t like green, but likes orange and blue, do I dress him in green just to have him not stand out and be the only one not wearing it? Does it make me a bad parent if he doesn’t?

1 comment:

  1. Hell no, let him wear what ever color he wants, especially now that he is old enough to express an opinion! You are an excellent Mommy-let me know what you find out about what they "taught" regarding St.Patrick's Day...

    Nothing wrong with being a non conformist, even at almost 3!

    ReplyDelete